Monday, May 4, 2009

My Asian classmates suggest I should spend more time with Asian friends. Why?

I am a Hong Kong guy who is currently studying a degree course in an Australian university. I have been here for 3 months. I am living in Halls of Residence on-campus. Most of my hallmates are Australian. After I take initiative to say " hello " to them, I've found that many of them are very friendly.I join the hall activities (e.g. Watching cricket match, pub crawl, barbecue,partying). I feel surprised that I am always the only Asian hallmate who join the Australian's hall activities. Meanwhile, I've bulilt up friendship with a number of Aussie hallmates. They always invite me to hang out with them. However, my Asian classmates say I should make Hong Kong friends.They say" I don't understand how you can relate to Aussies. Why can you get into their social circle?You should make more HK friends because it's easier to relate to." What do you think? Do you think I've been breaking the cultural barrier?How do you think of my classmates' suggestions?Being racist?

My Asian classmates suggest I should spend more time with Asian friends. Why?
Your classmates are not necessarily being racist, but they are being elitist and cultural. People band together and find comfort in their similarities. Perhaps, being that their are more Australians than Hong Kong students, your compatriots would rather you seek their companionship than those that out number them.





Instead of them trying to get you to be with them, ask them to join you and the Aussies.
Reply:Don't listen to them, they are obv jealous of you. Keep being friends with your Aussie friends, I'm sure they will be better friends than those Hk people =]





x

teeth bleaching

No comments:

Post a Comment